Wednesday 1 June 2016

Tools to scrape Twitter without any coding

On request I relist some tools that can help anyone to extract data from Twitter without any knowledge of coding. Did I miss a tool? Let me know in the comments and I will add them.


TAGS6.0 - Any OS - LINK
One of my favorite tools to scrape tweets from an account or multiple keyword search. It is a Google Sheets add-on that can update hourly so you don’t have your computer running during the sessions. I have one sheet already scraping for over a year for one keyword related to one of the companies I sometimes work.





My Twitter Scraper - Windows - LINK
A free and open source Twitter Scraper built by Software Engineering student Jason Dixon with the capability to scrape Twitter realtime. It returns username, tweet, time and location in a CSV file. Make sure you have Java 1.8 installed and get your Twitter API OAuth tokens at https://apps.twitter.com by creating a new Twitter application.




NodeXL - Windows - LINK
While a lot of people seem to have trouble with NodeXL to scrape tweets I had some success with it some years ago. NodeXL is an extension for Excel 2007 or higher (I recommend to just use Excel 2007). We probably need to wait for a fix, but sure one to keep in the loop.  


Nayoun & Gephi - Windows - LINK
Not easy to install, but you can use Nayoun & Gephi (as I describe in my other post) to live visualize different aspects of Twitter. You can export the data to a csv file in Gephi.





IFTT - Any OS - LINK
Not for huge volumes of tweets, but you can use some recipes to send certain tweets (like your own or hashtags) to a Google Sheets. Not that almost all recipes are limited on the amount of tweets they can extract at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment